Monday, January 12, 2009

Healthy Living

One week ago I decided to take my life back. Now from past experiences I know that I don't do well with diets. Been there, done that too many times. This time I have decided to change my eating by being aware of everything that enters my mouth. Sparkpeople.com has a fabulous nutrition tracker to help me monitor just how much I'm eating. They can even help you set up an eating plan...all for free.

For me, I choose to eat anything I want, I just have to be accountable for it and know what it does to me. I'm finding this thought process is helping me to make better choices over all. I look at something and its calories and fat and such and make a decision based on if I think it is worth it or not. I'm not depriving myself of anything if I truly want it, but I am having much smaller portion sizes and filling my days with many more veggies and fruit and such. I have learned that I was probably eating atleast 4000-5000 calories and way too much fat before (gotta love depression and all that comes with it). Now I'm eating between 1750-2300 calories and I'm balancing my carbs, fat and protein better.

Just 10 months ago at my baby's blessing, I was down to 282...my lowest in a long time. Then post partum depression struck and my regular depression joined in to stay. (I miss that hormone high *sigh*) Last Monday I weighed in at 314 which is heavier than before I got pregnant. Today my good choices this past week have paid off...I weighed in at 308. I know I have a very long way to go, and I still need to work on motivation for exercising, but I'm feeling I have made the right choice for me.

My Long Term goals are:
1) become my friend's running partner by the end of this year
2) Be my best self: strong and healthy and active with my family

My Short Term goals are:
1) Make good eating choices
2) Work up to 30 minutes of exercise a day, 5 days a week
3) Get 7 to 8 hours of sleep a night
4) Drink 5 to 8 20 ounce bottles of water a day

I will share my journey in hopes that I can motivate someone else and some of you can motivate me as well.

3 comments:

jadell said...

ooh! I am SO impressed! First, I can't believe how candid you are about the whole thing. I am so not that brave! Second, I admire that you are "taking back" your life. You go Girl! I can't wait to see "less" of you! :) YOu are inspiring me as we speak! :)

Sirah

cjknick said...

Gwennie, this is awesome. I wish you well in this journey. I've been doing sparkpeople for a while now (even if I was absent for awhile last year) and it really does help, at least it does for me. Journaling everything I put in my mouth creates huge awareness.

Consider yourself hugged and I know you're going to make great progress.

Cindy

Jennifer said...

Thank you ladies! The awareness has been eye-opening for me. I'm taking the time to measure and read labels and all the while deciding what is worth it and letting go of the things that aren't. It is quite the re-programming of how I have thought of food for so many years.